Mupen64 Plus AE
Emulates various games so you can play on your phone
For nearly two decades Nintendo was the apex of the gaming world and everyone who loved gaming owned a console, and that only increased when the Nintendo 64 came out, and it's starting to receive a resurgence in popularity now that Mupen64 Plus AE, a Nintendo 64 emulator, has come out for Android.
A Review of the Mupen64 Plus AE App for Android
It goes without saying, at least if you're a gamer, that Nintendo 64 shares a special place in console canon. After all, this was the height of gaming before Sega Dreamcast and Sony PlayStation came along, and Xbox wasn't even on the radar for over another decade. Huge games like Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, Goldeneye, and others dominated the landscape, and now you can play them all again, on your mobile devices, thanks to the Mupen64 Plus AE app for Android. Because the 64-bit system pretty much pales in comparison to the gigabyte gaming era, what you're getting with this emulator app is pretty much the same quality you had on the Nintendo 64. Best of all, however, you'll actually be able to always load the games up and play, instead of having to blow on the cartridge every time you put it in, while crossing your fingers that it won't freeze up.
This emulator is a testament to the world's technology. What you're witnessing is a full-sized console that's compressed to under 6MB yet operates just like that 64-bit console of old. You have great graphics, good games from which to choose, and the controls on your mobile devices are actually touch-screen and a lot more convenient than those old handheld, wired controllers.
Pros and Cons of Mupen64 Plus AE
- A functioning emulator with touch-screen capabilities
- Same graphic qualities as the old 64s
- Very small file size, under 6MB
- Games load up and play every time
- Not a whole lot of games
- Some games don't provide you their full versions, only certain levels
- Fixed analog mappings for PS4 controller
- Fixed broken 2xSAI setting for gles2n64 video plugin
Potentially dangerous permissions
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.